There is no doubt that a central air conditioning system is a large investment, however, like every appliance in your home, your central air conditioning system has a lifespan. When the temperature hits the high 90s, there is no price tag for having an energy-efficient, reliable, central air conditioning system to provide you and your family with optimal comfort! Not only does your air conditioning system keep your house cool, it is designed to reduce the humidity level that comes with the summer heat. Although regular maintenance prolongs the life of your cooling system, there is a point where your system may not be functioning properly and will not keep your home comfortable during the hottest days of the summer.
Here are a few signs that may indicate it could be time for a new central air conditioning system:
- Age of Your System - The average lifespan of a central air conditioning system is 10-15 years. If your system falls into this category, you may want to consider replacing it instead of repairing it as an older unit can increase energy costs. A new energy-efficient system can save you anywhere from 20-50% on your energy bills! In addition, older systems use R22 freon refrigerant which is being phased out to meet environmental protection regulations. Therefore, it is more expensive and will continually be more difficult to find. New systems use eco-friendly refrigerant along with the benefits of increasing the value of your home and improving your home's indoor air quality.
- Costly Repairs - As your central air conditioning system ages, you may experience more frequent and costly repairs. You may also notice that your utility bills are increasing, while the use of your system hasn't changed. These are signs that it may be time to replace your system.
- Excessive Noise - If your air conditioning system is becoming loud and noisy, it may be an indication that your duct system is not compatible with your cooling system - your duct system may not be large enough for your home. If this is the case, your air conditioning system can not work properly. The noise may also mean that an indoor coil is clogged.
- Increase in Indoor Humidity - Air conditioning systems are supposed to remove the humidity from the air to maintain a consistent temperature throughout the home. If your air conditioning system is not working properly or you have issues with your ductwork, you may experience a rise in the humidity inside your home. It may make more sense to install a new system than to pay for these repair costs.
- Increase in Dust - Your central air conditioning system is designed to filter out dust or other harmful particles in your home. The persistence of excessive dust in your home may indicate leaks in your ductwork. These leaks compromise the efficiency of your air conditioning system and increase costs to operate.
These signs may indicate you want to start thinking about a new central air conditioning system. A new air conditioning system is an investment, but it can save you on costly repairs, lower utility bills, and increase the value of your home. Wackenhut is here to help with energy experts that will work with you to help you choose the best cooling system for your home. Contact us today at 215.343.2222 to discuss your options so you can relax this summer knowing your system is installed correctly and will operate at peak efficiency, saving you money and keeping you cool!